Thursday, January 6, 2011

Put it down?

Is there a social interaction movement brewing?
2010 was the year of social networking, maybe 2011 could be the year of actually talking to each other?

There is a lady in Brooklyn who started a web page challenging the citizens of Brooklyn to stop texting and start paying attention to everything around them.  There's even a section dedicated for readers to comment on what they saw when they "put it down".  Wow, this is refreshing.  I can feel the stress lift when I read that someone actually noticed trees. 

There's a whole line of merchandise related to her cause, and I especially like the baby onesies, and the ironic cell phone covers. (Check her out lustbklyn.com)

So how much longer can our society go with our noses in our phones all the time before we start seeing some serious problems related to such?  Social interaction is vital to human health, both mentally and physically. (traumaregister.co.uk)  What about social media?  Is that enough social interaction to keep us healthy?  One thing to consider, that the trauma register states in their studies, is that it can "challenge distortions that we often build up through our own belief systems and experiences." It is also evident that social interaction can improve overall health and reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, hypertension, and respiratory disorders.

I know that when my nose is in my phone, I'm not always checking my email or my financial accounts. Usually I am social networking.  Squidoo.com has listed 6 reasons why social networking is good for your health.
It allows you to "make new friends, connect with lost relatives and friends, increase communication with long-distance relatives,  adds a sense of security to your job when you professionally network, gives you a break from the same boring routine, and allows you to share and get something back in return". All healthy things.

blog.killtheradio.net
Like anything, though, there is a point where too much is too much and too much of anything is harmful. There are some warning signs, (via ecosalon.com), if you are neglecting your loved ones to read about the weekend plans of someone you knew 20 years ago, or procrastinating important things inadvertently because you have spent too much time social networking:  You might need an intervention.  Or perhaps at least a daylong break. There is a writer on the same site who took a whole week off from any type of computer/phone technology. She has some interesting points. The huge one being that it just isn't as important as we make it to be. (read "why we have to disconnect" here)

gather.com
Now I know  those that know me personally know it's like the pot calling the kettle black, but it is definately something that has been on my mind lately, and something that sometimes I feel a slave to. 

So is a movement to socially interact more a good idea?  Yes please. Should it take a "movement" to make it happen?  Probably shouldn't.  I'll just start now to work on putting the phone down to spend more time with my kids, my friends, my spouse, and just to look at the trees.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!