Thursday, September 4, 2014

Aldi's Shopping trip - Why I am a convert

I have really grown to love Aldi! I have actually started to make it my first stop for my bi-weekly grocery trips. (Read about how I do my planning and couponing in a previous post here.)

Where I used to frequent only one store, and in-between another, I have been finding that I can stay in my budget, with diligence and careful planning and visit up to 3 stores.

"the haul", I spent $60.99
I get jump up and down excited about shopping at Aldi (I know I'm nerdy), because of the money I save and the quality of the items.  I have my usual items I always pick up from there, but this trip I got a few different things that I had not tried before, and I can say a week later, I am still impressed.  There have only been a few things that I have tried that I can honestly say I will just pass on next time, but for the most part, all of their products are economical, a great value, and tasty if not tastier than some name brands that they imitate. If you love organic, hormone free meats and dairy - you can't go wrong with Aldi.  I have not done a side by side comparison of their organic compared to some of the other health food stores, but I know they are price comparable to the non counterparts in your big chain supermarkets.

So here is the list, the price break down, and how I rate the items.
(! = good; !! = great; !!! = best - Break up with your other brand)

Gatorade (32oz) x 2     .95 each !
Frozen Chicken Tenderloins (2.5 lb bag)   $5.99 !!!
(hormone free, less quantity than you can buy from Tyson or Dillon's, but the individual pieces were about 20% bigger than Tyson and Dillon's, meaning I can use less individual pieces in soups and casseroles. They also had less fatty pieces on it and they hardly shrank after cooking. Taste great!)
String Cheese 12 sticks (non organic)      $2.79 !!
Kids loved these, about $.75 less than Dillon's or name brands
12 oz block of mild cheddar       $1.99 !!!
I stock up on these when they are $1.88 at Dillon's. I have not seen that price all summer and they have been selling for about $2.89 (approx) last I shopped for Kraft or Kroger. Aldi's cheese (Happy Farms) had a richer flavor and smoother, moisture texture.
Frozen single meal (Fettuccine Alfredo) $.99 !
Lean meals (lasagna)   $.99 !
4 lb Sugar     $1.58 !
Sandwich bags (100)  $1.99 !!!
I am a convert on their plastic and storage items. They seem to be thicker and zip up perfect the first time most every time. I also am a convert on their plastic wrap, thick and sticks well, doesn't tear.
Pineapple slices (x2) $.69 !!!
You can't beat that price for canned pineapple. I have not noticed one difference in the quality. It is sometimes hard to buy canned pineapple for much under $1
AA/AAA batteries (8 pack)  $1.99  !!!
um, hello! This is almost like paying a dollar for batteries, but these last a lot longer.  If you have kids you know the importance of inexpensive batteries. You need them all the time!
Jiffy Corn muffin  $.47 !
$.20 savings from Dillon's
Instant Mashed Potato  $1.29 (can't rate haven't tried yet!)
Individually wrapped Baked Penguin snacks (9 - 1 oz packages)   $2.99 !!!
These are delicious! Better than gold fish, better than the little birds at Target! Convert on these. And I usually don't buy individually wrapped snacks, but I have been, at Aldi, because they are low enough that I don't feel guilty for being lazy. They work great for the 4 lunches I make every day.
Napkins - 250 ct.  $1.49 !
I'm neutral on these. The kids think the embossed pattern is "so cool". ok.
Strawberry, blueberry, black cherry, and peach Greek Yogurts x 6      $.75 !!!
Oh I tell everyone about these. AWESOME! If you only go and buy one thing at Aldi get this. I have tried many different name brands and hardly any of them are palatable plain, and most were chalky, and yucky.  These are amazing. Smooth, tasty, they have fruit on the bottom for just enough sweetness. You will convert after trying these. My whole family is partial to only this Greek yogurt. We don't eat any other brand anymore.
Frozen Corn    $.95  !!
OntheGo Trail Mix (8 - 1.5 oz pkg)  $3.49 !!
This is another pack of individually wrapped snacks. They are good. This one was the one with candy coated chocolate pieces, raisins and peanuts and a good amount of sunflower seeds. Salty and Sweet. Great for an afternoon protein push, for lunches, and we've taken these camping before.
Half & Half   32 oz    $1.69!!!
I like this. It's the large carton, and it has the little pour spout with the twist on cap which I like better than the old school cartons. The size and price are a good value.
Buttery Round Snack Crackers (15 oz)       $1.79  !!!
I actually prefer these over Ritz. They are flakier and more buttery. Convert.
Mixed Fruit Fruit snacks  (10)  $1.69 !!!
We are a convert on these.  I normally buy the large box which has 30 (I think) for $3.69. But I still had some left and just grabbed the smaller this time.
Cheese & Sticks  (individually wrapped pack of 6)  $.99 !
Homogenized Milk   2 gallons  $2.82 !!!
This is hormone free milk. We are converts. Mainly because the price has been lower than Dillons and Target. We go through about 3-4 gallons every 2 weeks so this is an important savings.
Red grapes    $2.78 !!!
I think this is the 2 lb bag. I love their grapes. I buy them pretty much every time because they are so sweet and good. They seem to last a bit longer before molding too, which I happen to think is true of all their produce.
Plain 32oz Yogurt Vanilla   $1.69 !
Pretzel sticks (mini) 16 oz bag   $1.29 !
Clancey's Multi grain crisps  10.5 oz bag  $1.99 !!!
Comparable to Sun Chips.  We devour these. They are thin and flaky and we love them plain or with hummus.  They are a must have every Aldi trip.

Well I hope I've peaked your interest enough to shop there on your next grocery run. If you are looking to save money this is a no brainer place to do it. No couponing needed.  A few things to remember before you go:
1. Debit cards or cash only. They do not take credit cards.
2. Bring your own shopping bags. You can buy bags for $.05 for paper or $.10 for plastic but it's better to bring your own.
3. Have a quarter for a cart.  You get it back when you return it.
4. They are only open until 8 pm in our area. So get there early if you are an evening shopper.
5. Watch out for the impulse buys, or don't. I have found some really great household and seasonal items that are awesome quality and price. They change these up about every 2-3 months. I've started calling Aldi also, my store of impulse buys.
6. Sign up for their email list and you can get an idea of what's "on sale", and take a look at the current ad online.
7. Don't be shocked that you do have to load your groceries into your own bags, they do have boxes you can use if you don't want to buy bags or forget yours.
8. There are 4 Aldi locations in Wichita and also in Salina, Hutchinson, Emporia and Topeka. You can search for a store near you at their website.  www.aldi.us


*  All opinions are my own and I was not paid to share my shopping trip or any links. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!