Sunday, November 21, 2010

WAHM

There is a Work at Home Mommy Revolution going on right now. I talk to lots of Moms' who start businesses out of their homes to supplement their income. Since the lull in the economy there has definitely been an increase of Mom's who need to earn an extra income but can't and don't want to find something in the job market. The cost of childcare alone is enough to turn most people off on the idea of going back to work. Even if you do work outside the home, and maybe you bring your work home with you, you probably understand that there is an art and skill to working, at home, with kids.
After the birth of my daughter 10 years ago, I tried to return to work, on a part-time basis, and I enjoyed my brief time out. Being a first time Mom, though, it felt more important not to miss out on a single moment of everything in her little existence. A move out of state a short time later, with time on my hands, too much shopping, and creative energy, led me to start a business of my own. My inspiration was knock offs of pricier boutique baby items that seemed simple enough to make. I mustered up my best confidence, I got out there, found out what was desired and what was not, and got the ball rolling. I have been selling my items at a friends' local boutique for about 7 years now. Just finally am I burnt out enough that I have been phasing it out. As you can see, I just took on more to occupy my time.
It's so hard to find time for yourself as a Mom let alone being President, marketing director, Manufacturing and sales associate for your very own business. I hear Mom's gasping all the time that they are "just so busy". But yet they still have that passion, that pull, that desire to make an impact on something out there. Maybe it's not the world, but at least a corner of it.
We all have special gifts and talents, and if there's even a slight chance we could make a million, or a even a couple hundred, some of us will give it our all, in addition to being the best Mom's, wives, daughter's, and all the other hats we wear. Owning a business, inventing something that makes it to QVC - it's the American dream. Or maybe there is other reasons more simple on why we do it. Reasons that are closer to the heart.  I appreciate all the Mom's out there that take on doing more than the already crazy multi-tasking we do to manage our homes and kids. This has inspired me to talk to other "Mompreneurs" who are taking that crazy leap of faith to find out what can happen when you put your heart, and your talents to work.  I hope it inspires you, if you have your own passion, or idea, to go for it and give it your best shot. Cause we Mom's, we got your back!
Watch for interviews with some women in the Wichita area that are doing it, and doing it well! Those with a story to tell,  a source for their strength, and rivers of inspiration to guide them.
My first conversation is with a former "career girl" who gave it up, to be the Mom she wanted to be. Watch for her story coming this week.
I want to hear your stories too! If you have a great success story or inspirational story of your own, or know someone I should talk to about theirs, leave me some info on my comments, or email me at Wichitacitymom@gmail.com.