Saturday, December 21, 2013

Don't "Duck" this issue

What do you believe?

As a christian I can somewhat relate to what Phil Robertson is going through after the recent interview that has Gay/Lesbian Alliances and Human Rights Activists in an uproar.  It is a slippery slope. As Christians we are called to stand firm in the truth of God's word but we live in a society where doing so would be "wrong", "hateful", and called corrupt.  The LGBT groups are comparing this to human rights and race issues of previous decades. I have a problem with that.

Because what I believe does not line up with what the world says, but does line up with what God says, I am bad. This should not be something that we as Christians should be surprised or afraid of. The Bible says this will happen.

Where do we go from here?  Perhaps it's time for you to look at what you represent, and who's team do you appear to be on? God does not want us to be hot and cold for him, and in fact he detests it. (Revelations 3:16) We are told not to deny Him. (Matthew 10:33) We are told to regard his word as truth and life as it is the food for our spirit and our life. (John 6:63; John 14:6)
I hate hate. I hate murder, I hate pain and disease and unnecessary death. I hate this world that threatens to destroy itself because it seems to think it knows better than God does.
I don't hate people. We are called to love people. Even people that hurt us. Even people that do things that are disgusting, immoral, wrong and illegal. Phil Robertson never said that he hated Gay people. Is this an issue of freedom of speech? Possibly. I am expected to tolerate the beliefs of many religions, mindsets and morals whether I agree with them or not. But when I decide to speak as a Christian, I feel I have to be tolerable. I can speak the love part, but when it comes to the gritty parts that sting, I slink back to silence. God does not call me to do that, the world has made me into this. (Hebrews 4:12)

If Phil Robertson had not said what he said about what God believes as Truth, about what the Bible says, the Word that he places as ruler and guidance and truth for his life. If he denied what the bible said and instead tried to be gentle with his words, and not offend any one, how would we feel as Christians? We might think he is fake. We might question what is real with what this family portrays. I am proud that as Christians we are rallying around him and supporting what the world says is wrong. Should we be afraid? Absolutely not.
I know how this story ends, and guess what? God wins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!