Friday, January 4, 2013

Having trouble with resolutions? Here's what I resolve.

What are you going to do today, that is different from yesterday? Or last week?
Are you waiting on something?
Are you waiting on someone to do something so that you have to do it?  Maybe you are ready but you are afraid?
Live without regrets.
"We choose our joys and sorrows
long before we experience them."
 {Khalil Gibran}
Is that even possible?
Yes.
Maybe.
Is there something hanging out in your mind, taking residence shouting at you to do something, but you just keep shutting the door? Don't want to deal with this right now. Maybe later you say.  This isn't a good time.
I'll get to it on _______.
New year new you, right?  That is so cliche' this year.  Now it's "Jumpstart January".  ? Is this some new term for "go on your diet this time and do it right this time, and don't mess up this time?"
Maybe it's Second chance January.   Or third, fourth, fifth times a charm.
What's your intention?
I know I'm full of questions.
this is fun.
This conversation I am having with myself right now.  I'm good at beating myself up.  Not so good at following through.  Okay, yeah, I have some good ideas. I might even try them out a couple times.  But soon enough, I will be on to something else, something new, distracted by something different.  and further away from my "I'm going to".
How do you make a plan and stick to it?  Is it really a magic "resolution"?  Unfortunately there's no "magic" in my resolutions and every year I resolve and every year they dissolve.

I will keep trying.

This year, though, I decided no more resolutions.  It is theme time.  So my "theme" for this year is "intentional".  Yeah, I so far don't feel too hopeful about that theme. Just the idea of calling it a "theme" instead of a "resolution", completely removes the commitment out of it. I like loopholes. Ask my husband.
Intentional. It can be used like an excuse, "but I intended for it to work out better". No, I will make the effort and do it. (Done on purpose, Deliberate, Google definition of Intentional.)
Spend more time with my kids.  Family Game night, do it.
I will sit and color with my son and listen to him talk about his plans for his birthday next month, no more "just a minute, I'm busy", I will sit and do it.
Don't fall asleep on the couch at 9:30 every night.  Go downstairs and watch a movie with my husband.  I will just do it.
Maybe I will find the biggest reward in staying intentional, will not be in being, but in having.  I have a feeling that the payoff for being "intentional" will be huge for 2013.
Happy New Year!