Sunday, March 4, 2012

Having a 1 Corinthians family.

1 Corinthians 13:4–8a 
(New International Version
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.



A popular verse for weddings, God put this verse in my brain this weekend to apply to my family.  Why is it that we are prone to treating those we love most the worst at times?  Yet those wounds from the daggers we throw at the hearts of our loved ones are the ones that heal the slowest and leave the biggest scars.  There are no vows to be taken as parents.  The role of Mom or Dad is blessed upon us, sometimes before we are really ready.  The first child is the one that gets to be the test child and the practice round for all the children that come after, unless you are some sort of specially trained child expert and even then I'm sure that mistakes have been made by them as well.

We are getting ready to start a parenting study this weekend with our small group, which I know will be more about myself than my children.  I cannot help but think that placing this verse in my heart, as a foundation to my learning, will keep me open, not only to what God wants for my family, but to what God wants me to know about my own actions, and responses as a parent. 

What about making this verse as a "vow" personally, on how to love your family?  Kids, parents, siblings, and spouse.  No, we can't be perfect, but Love never fails.  I promise to Love my family with patience, kindness, without envy or pride.  I vow not to be rude, or selfish.  To watch my temper, to forgive and forget. Protecting, trusting and persevering through even the toughest of trials. Because love never fails.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!