Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Baby Wipes

I started using cloth diapers about a month ago with my newest little one.  I was apprehensive to get it started, but once I just made myself start using them, and educated myself a little, I am thrilled with it and don't miss disposables one bit. Not to mention when you add up the savings....let's just say my husband is thrilled too.

I had heard that you can take that savings a step further by making your own baby wipes.  I like the idea of having home sewn wipes made from fabric such as flannel, that could simply be thrown into the laundry with dirty diapers. Still working on enough fabric ones to get set up, but decided to go ahead and try out this other money saving idea of homemade wipes using paper towels.  With a toddler and an infant we go through quite a few of these daily.

Using this recipe I found on Pinterest. (Find my boards here.)


Measuring spoons, measuring cup, baby oil, wipes container,
baby bath wash, paper towels, cloth wipes, folded paper towels.


2 cups of water.  (Distilled or boiled for a few minutes to kill bacteria. The water can get moldy.)
1 tablespoons of baby bath. I just used good ole' Johnson's.
2 Tablespoons of baby oil.
A roll of paper towels.  (I used Bounty, several sites I researched had said that Bounty is the best for this because they are thick and absorbent. Make sure you get the select a size. That seems to be the best size for wipes)
A wipes container or container with lid.



1. Boil your water.  I have a tea kettle that I use for boiling water, but you can do this in your microwave too.  Let the water cool.


2. Add the measured baby bath wash, and baby oil to the water.  I just poured these all together into my wipes container.  Stir gently.

 3.  There's two ways you can do the paper towels. It mainly depends on your container.  One way is to take a knife, and, carefully, cut your paper towel roll down the middle. You then can pull it out and tear at the perforations. If you are using a wipe container, pull about 10 perforated lengths of towel out and fold accordian style. Like in the picture (left).










4. Then just cut your stack down the middle so that they fit into your wipes container



My little helper. :-)
 5. Once you have filled up your container, you can shake it a little to make sure it gets to all of your wipes but you'll be amazed how much the towels absorb on their own.

and Voila! Wipes! You can even pull them through the dispenser hole on your container.  

So far so good, and so far no complaints from any of the littles. 




I've estimated my savings to be about $20 a month. Which over a year is $240. Over the next 3 years:  $720.  

It's good to be frugal!  Have any unique or creative ways you're saving money for your family? I'd love to hear about it! Your tip could be featured on a future post!! Just leave your tip below, or email me at Wichitacitymom@gmail.com.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!