Saturday, April 13, 2013

Gnarly Neon Run 2013 - our run recap

*I was not paid to participate and write the following review, but was compensated with tickets to the event. All opinions are mine.    


The After Party:  96.3 and a color shower.
Today I participated in my first 5K run.
   This was my husband's second. This particular run was a great run to take the whole family. So it was the first run for my kids too.  We all did great, but I, am, sore. That is an understatement. If you don't run normally, and then you try to run most of the 3.5 miles you will pay for it later. Don't let that scare you, because despite being sore, I would totally do it again.
Started at Century II,  then to Keeper of the Plains
 and finished at the boathouse.
The Gnarly Neon Run is part of a national trend sweeping the nation of making a race not only great for a community by supporting a local charity, The Wichita Children's Home, but make it fun:  no timers, no winners, no losers. So it is great for anyone at any fitness level. Throw {literally} in some color, like all over you and everyone else, some live and D.J. provided music along the route and you have the make up for a really great time supporting a great cause you soon won't forget. My kids absolutely loved the idea of getting messy, of course, and couldn't wait to get to each color station along the way.  You are told to wear white if you are "serious" about the event, which definitely helps you to look like you are seriously into it, as by the time you cross the finish you are covered in neon pink, purple, yellow and blue. I thought the cool rayban-ish sunglasses you get at registration was just to make you look cool and provide you with some friendly sun protection, but it actually comes in quite handy as safety from all the colored powdered that is thrown, dumped, sprayed and showered all over you.  Like, totally fun, and I think I spent the whole day explaining to my kids what "gnarly" means.  They think the style and the neon colors from the '80's is "sick" , but they don't understand how we people from the '80's talk. {okay.....}
Starting out, still clean.
Race over, and beat.
We'll be looking forward to next year's Gnarly Neon Run and if there is one coming to your city, you should definitely go!
Check out their website for more stops on the tour here, and follow them on Facebook, and Twitter.

*I was not paid for my review of this event, but was compensated for my participation with tickets. All opinions are mine. Images are my own.
Beautiful weather, and great signs of spring!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts, feedback, or any thing else on your mind! I want to hear what you think!